KOHLER, Wis. – February 22, 2007 – Production started this week at the Kohler, Wis., facility on the new KOHLER Command PRO 34-, 36- and 38- horsepower engine models. These air-cooled, V-twin gasoline engines – available in both horizontal- and vertical-shaft configurations –have been generating excitement among the commercial industry seeking higher horsepower for a variety of turf and industrial equipment.
For the commercial equipment market, the new 38-horsepower gasoline engine will not only provide more power to accommodate today’s larger and more sophisticated applications and commercial turf equipment, but will offer a new design that provides unmatched serviceability and extends maintenance intervals. This new KOHLER Command PRO models at 999 cc also meet the new EPA Tier 3 and CARB emissions requirements.
“Kohler has been innovative with its products to offer our customers an alternate to diesel engines. The Kohler engineering and design team started from a clean sheet in designing these new higher horsepower engines,” said Cam Litt, senior product manager for Kohler. “Not only does this extended Command PRO line target a true, higher horsepower rating, but we placed greater emphasis on the engine’s serviceability,” said Litt, citing that the no-drip oil filter, now located on the top of the engine, is more easily accessible for servicing.
The new engines target a range of commercial and industrial applications, including turf mowers, generators and pumps.
The basic configuration of the engine is the tried-and-true 90º twin-cylinder, overhead valve, hydraulic valve lifter design, with an electronic ignition system, two-barrel carburetor and mechanical governor. The engine uses an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, a common feature on such engines intended to promote longer service life and durability. This new gasoline engine really shines with its potent displacement, 999 cc on a bore and stroke of 90 mm x 78.5 mm and a dry weight of 130 lbs.
Building upon its heritage for durable, reliable engines, Kohler introduces several unique and patented features that aim to enhance and extend the engine’s performance.
- Full power capable off both the flywheel and PTO side of the engine
- Top-mounted oil filter features a no-drip oil system; this with extended service interval of 150 hours, catering to the busy professional
- Top-mounted, heavy-duty air filter with an integrated rain cap allow for a better filtration in tough environments, along with a more compact installation package
- Front-mounted choke and throttle controls
- Removable cylinder access covers
- Hydraulic valve lifters, to ensure consistent horsepower throughout the full engine life and eliminates the need for valve adjustments
- Unique nylon cam gear design achieves lower sound and vibration levels
- Aluminized muffler to lengthen muffler life and protect against corrosion
- Electro-Magnetic Compatibility (EMC) and Radio Frequency Interference (RFI) compliant
A leading manufacturer of utility engines, Kohler Engines is part of the Kohler Global Power Group. The business produces four-cycle engines -- ranging from 4 to 38 horsepower -- under the brand names KOHLER Courage®, Aegis®, Command PRO®, and Command®. All KOHLER engines are backed by a dealer/distributor network that is 10,000 strong worldwide. To obtain literature, sales and service information, or the names of Kohler distributors and dealers, call 1-800-544-2444, or visit the Kohler Engines web site at KohlerEngines.com.
Founded in 1873 and headquartered in Kohler, Wis., Kohler Co. is one of America’s oldest and largest privately held companies. Kohler is a global leader in the manufacture of kitchen and bath products, engines and power generation systems, cabinetry, tile and home interiors, and international host to award-winning hospitality and world-class golf destinations.
Anne M. Smith APR
Assoc. PR Manager
Browse and download high-resolution photos to illustrate your stories.